Tuesday 21 May 2013

Frugal Food: Apple Crumble Makes You Rumble



Actually, this is a rhubarb and apple to be precise so extra rumbly.....!

We used to get copious amounts of rhubarb in our garden when I was a kid.  I didn't enjoy eating it AT ALL then but loved using the big leaves as a hat.  Now my tastebuds are more uhhmm mature shall we say, I am quite happy to eat it but the cost is prohibitive.  It tends to only come in pricey packs at the supermarket.  Waitrose was doing a half price offer of £1.50 for 400g but I got a couple of almost-out-of-date packs reduced to 99p each.  

Eating some stewed, dolloped on porridge, is ideal for me but my little girl was not so keen (surprise, surprise!).  

I sliced up a cooking apple, spread it over the top of some stewed rhubarb, made a batch of crumble topping, cooked it for 30 minutes at 190ยบ, poured over some plain yoghurt and voila!  

Gone in 60 seconds!


Basic Crumble Topping

120g plain flour
90g butter, cold, diced into small chunks
6tbsp sugar

Rub the butter into the flour, using just your fingertips so as not to melt the butter, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. 

You could also add some porridge oats in for some more fibre.  

Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment