Tuesday 22 October 2013

Frugal Food: Crunchy Granola



Starting again!  I am full of admiration for those who blog regularly, some even daily.  It's not that I don't think of or photograph things to blog about.  I can compose away in my head but I just don't seem to get round to actually sitting down to put those thoughts into readable words!  Mind you, procrastination is my middle name...........

Which is why I am now typing about my summer breakfasts in October! Dear oh dear.  

That photo is of a bowl of crunchy granola, served with yoghurt and strawberries, and eaten on holiday, looking out over the sea on a beautifully sunny August morning.  The recipe is from Lighten Up by Jill Dupleix.  She is one of my favourite cookery book authors as her recipes are always simple to follow, never have a long list of ingredients and always, always taste delicious.  

I have the gall to label this one under 'Frugal Food' as I made it using up all sorts of odds and ends of nuts and seeds from my pantry and, padded out with yog and fruit, it seemed to last forever!  Below, I have reproduced the original recipe for you to tweak and make your own.  

Seeing those strawberries is taking me back to another summer holiday memory - strawberries grown in Mevagissey, Cornwall.  We are talking real, proper, red, ripe strawberries, that actually taste of strawberry and the smell............. ohhh, they are worth buying for the smell alone! Clotted cream optional!

Crunchy Granola

Makes 10 or more servings

400g porridge oats
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp linseed
100g almonds
100g walnuts or brazil nuts
100g dried shredded coconut
pinch of salt
4 tbsp honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp olive oil or hempseed oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
100g dried cranberries
100g dried sultanas

Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.


Heat the oven to 150ºC/Gas 2.

Toss the oats, seeds, nuts, coconut and salt together in a large bowl.

Warm the honey, olive oil, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pan, stirring, until just melted.

Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients, tossing well.

Spread evenly on the trays.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, shuffling everything around once or twice to prevent sticking.

Remove from the oven and cool.  

Add the dried fruits.

Store in an airtight container for up to a month.



No comments:

Post a Comment